Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day One Done (almost...)

Let me just say, I couldn't sleep last night, partly because of my excitement for the next day but also because of the wind on this tiny piece of land, at the tip of Long Island, New York, called Montauk. Let me tell you, I couldn't get excited for this weekend until I saw the spreadsheets. I tried (because I love food) but I couldn't. However, Lisa and I have found a common ground that I didn't discover until I was done my shift of driving. We both love spreadsheets. I make and analyze spreadsheets for a living, she does it out of hobby. But not until I saw the amount of work and effort she put into this weekend (by her skillfully and useful spreadsheet), did I truly become excited.

I, Regina, love food.

The pivot table of ingredients, recipes, timetable, etc. was extensive. Impressive, quite frankly. To sit down and think, 42 recipes amongst 11 people in 2 and a half days? Wow. I'm never going to get into wedding shape!

But so far, so FANTASTIC! The portions have been generous but not crawling into bed after Thanksgiving big. Yes, I will admit, I have asked for the next dish/portion/serving, whatever you want to call it after each dish/portion/serving I've had. It's 9:30 and the schedule of meals for the day still aren't even done yet! The cheese straws aren't done yet and I have no idea what Ms. Iron Chef of America has on deck, but we will be eating until midnight...at the least.

I was a subscriber of Food & Wine magazine for a year (because a year subscription is the only option) but, what I found was, I only ripped out recipes; I did not make any (at least to my knowledge/memory). So far, during this experience, have I realized, there is no point in getting any food magazine unless you are really willing to work. Some (actually, few) of the recipes we have made today were simple and quick but nothing for the everyday life of basically everyone here.

This is quite the experience. Something I will remember. I will take, at most, 3 recipes home with me that I will want to integrate into my everyday life.

I hope to continue this new tradition for the recipes, the skills I have learned and for the already close friendships that are becoming closer.

Food is the fuel that bonds us.

No comments:

Post a Comment